Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Why do I do this?

Interesting that you posted that question. I was asked by two friends recently why I run. Do you even like it? How could you like it?

One friend, in particular, wants me to walk with her. I always kindly decline, but finally, she got pushy and along with her pushiness, she asked "why do you run, anyway? why can't you walk instead?"

I told her that running is a challenge in some way. Always. Sometimes it's enough of a challenge to get out there to just do it. Sometimes, getting through the run (no matter how long or short) is the challenge. Beating a previous time or distance is a challenge. Humbly accepting the occasional weak/slow/difficult run is a challenge. And it's a great feeling to conquer it and get ready to face the next challenge.

...and honestly, I already know I can walk. I do it all the time.

My oldest son told me that he ran a 6:22 mile at school today. His good friend who he always races against in gym class finished a few seconds faster. I'm proud of him, and so excited that he is challenging himself in this way as well.

2 comments:

  1. Did a 9.2-mile run last night from 11:05 to 1:00 AM. (really got a lot of work to do!) and one of the thoughts in my mind while running was your question: "Do I even like it?"
    Near the end of the run, I realized I like to do each one (i.e. bike, run, swim) individually on it's own, but not at a set distance, like for each training. I guess to fearless face my true motive: it's pride; just to say that I've done something I've always wanted to do, and prove to people that I can do it. Hmmm...crown that will not last... Anyway, I'm just hoping it will all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you know you can run, can you now bike? Swim? ;-)

    ReplyDelete