Thursday, September 2, 2010

2 weeks before the race

It's supposes to be the start of taper in training but since I lost training time because of the accident (and did not training enough to begin with), I decided to max out on each of the disciplines that week.

Swim:
Did a 50 x 50 yds. swim in the pool on Monday

Run:
Did a 13 mi. run on Wednesday.

Bike:
Went to Sta. Barbara (where the race was gonna be at) that Saturday to do the whole bike course. I went with a friend who has some experience in biking.
On mile 6 to 7, was one of the toughest hills of the course. It was a gradual 500-ft climb. Since most of my training was on flat, I really had a hard time getting to the top. Near the top I had to stop and lay flat on the curb to catch my breath. At that point, I was already second-thoughts in doing the race. I WAS ONLY ON MILE 7, there's 27 more miles to go!!!
My friend just encouraged me to go slow and don't push it. And he was right. I just took it slow the rest of the way and finished it.
Mile 16 to 17 was another 500 foot climb but more gradual and so it was more manageable. The downhill ride was curvy and tricky . My friend commented "Thank God this part of the course is as it is. Had it been the other way going up, it would be a lot tougher!" (remember this for it will have bearing on my next blog!)

Had lunch and headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment