Thursday, September 2, 2010

Race Day!!!

Woke up around 4:00. Still scared.
Waited till like 5:00 to get ready. Packed my bike and gear in my friends car and headed out to the starting line, which was about 15 mi. away, around 5:45. We prayed before leaving the motel (just to be sure, ya know!).

Near the set-up area, my fears were lessened with the many people there. They were very friendly and encouraging. The seasoned athletes assured me and gave me tips. One thing consistent with what they said was: relax and enjoy your first one.

I saw David and came over to wish me good luck. I started laying out my gear, a final trip to the men's room, and I put on my wetsuit. It was getting close to 7:00, the start of the race, so we headed out for the beach. I saw someone popping in a gel shot, so I did the same. And once I drank water, I never realized how thirsty I was that morning (stress probably?). One of the veterans told me to get in the water to get used to it. Dang, it was cold!!! (high 50's to low 60's).

We started lining up according to age groups. There were about 5 groups starting from the elite athletes on the front line to the all-women's group in the back, with alternate white and blue cap for each group (note this as well for my next blog). Was trying to talk to people to get my nervousness out. We were the third group so my friend took some pictures and videos while waiting. And then it was our group's turn. This is it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment