Saturday, April 3, 2010

Race Day

I ran a 5k race today as did two of my relay teammates. Didn't make a new PR, but I did better than the last race. There is something about the energy in a large group of runners. I used to crave running for the solitude it gave me. Now, I'm starting to see how running with others motivates me.

"People can't understand why a man runs. They don't see any sport in it. Argue it lacks the sight and thrill of body contact. Yet, the conflict is there, more raw and challenging than any man versus man competition. For in running it is man against himself, the cruelest of opponents. The other runners are not the real enemies. His adversary lies within him, in his ability, with brain and heart to master himself and his emotions." - Glen Cunningham; 2-time Olympian

2 comments:

  1. Was busy the whole weekend moving and Easter service at church. So didn't get to do anything but 12 miles of biking at night.
    Short of my goal of biking 50 continuous miles tops before moving on to swim training. I only reached 40 mi. So decided to continue bike training while swim training.
    It's raining today, so no choice but to swim after work. I hope I won't look weird wearing a wetsuit in the swimming pool. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went swimming after work as promised and did 400 yards. I surprised myself having swam that much as I haven't swam in a while. And I could almost tell from the looks of people that as if they were asking "what the heck is this guy doing in a wetsuit in a heated pool?" I just ignored them.)

    I had a cough coming already, coming out of work that day. I guess the swimming just aggravated it and ended up staying home the following 2 days sick from a cough, headache, and body ache. So lost 2 days of training (and work, which I don't really mind!).

    Planning to go back to work today and swimming afterwards...till the next log.

    ReplyDelete